Sunday, August 28, 2011

Peach Pie

On our way home from Utah last week we knew we would be stopping in Perry or Brigham City for two things.
One to eat at MADDOX'S and the other was to stop at the many fresh fruit stands along Hwy 89.
I knew that I did not want to can peaches this year, but I wanted fresh Utah peaches to eat.
Even though I was eating my fair share of these perfect fruits
 they were becoming soft  faster than I could eat them.

Solution:
Fresh Peach Pie
If you follow my blog you know I  rarely  follow  recipes.
so... I will tell you what I did with my Utah peaches.
I peeled and sliced my fruit.
adding about:
 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
and close to a 1/4 cup of  flour (to help thicken the juices)
some cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of ginger.
Softly mixing everything together
and adding it to the bottom pie crust.
but today I went easy with the refrigerated Pillsbury
Kroger's pie crust in a box.
I roll out the top crust a little more ~ just because I like my top crust a little thinner.
I  use an egg white wash  and sprinkle the top of my pie with
granulated sugar, this makes the best sweet top to your pie.
I baked it for 30 mins at 350* and then another 10 mins or so at 400*
Just to get the "sugar top" that I want.
and WALA...
Fresh Peach Pie
Add a little whipped cream.
Sweet with the wonderful little punch of tartness from the fresh peaches.
YUMMY!
****UPDATE****
When I tasted my pie I kept thinking something is missing...
and then I knew what I forgot...
BUTTER...
I usually add about a tablespoon of  chopped butter and place it over the fruit.
I do this with apples too.

5 comments:

Connie said...

What a beautiful looking pie.

May family and I canned 53 quarts of peaches yesterday. There were just enough left that weren't quite ripe that I saved to make a peach pie. Here I sit drooling at your pie and my peaches need another day of ripening. Can I wait that long? Patience was never my strongest point.

Hope you are feeling better.

Lene said...

I guess you are feeling much better.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

No fresh "feaches" here in the PI (sometimes the P's are pronounced as F's). Your pie looks heavenly!

Mindy H. said...

Yum! I NEED to make this over the long weekend. Thanks for sharing and welcome home!

Kayleen said...

This makes me HAPPY!!!!!!!!! So glad you are feeling better!